Bring literacy to life and expand your students’ imaginations in our ten-acre outdoor classroom!
Schools, licensed childcare centers, and camps receive a special discounted rate of $4 per person, which is one half of our regular admission price (children under one are free). Simply download the field trip calendar to view available dates for your visit, then register for your date online.
Teachers, we also offer playful Fairyland curriculum aligned with the Common Core Standards to integrate preparation for your trip with classroom learning. If you have any questions or want to request curriculum, please email the Education Specialist.
These field trip add-ons provide half an hour of instruction with either our animal caretaker or our horticulturist. For kindergartners, first, and second graders, the lessons correlate with the newly adopted Next Generation Science Standards. We also have developmentally appropriate lessons for preschoolers. Our add-ons not only teach science concepts, but children will come away with a new respect for and interest in non-human life after they have:
- Stuck their fingers in a sheep’s wool to feel the lanolin
- Planted seedlings in our garden which will eventually grow into vegetables
- Bravely held a carrot still so a donkey can gobble it up
- Or picked tomatoes fresh off the vine
We can accommodate up to 20 children and the price is $40. The only question for you is whether the animal program or the horticulture program fits into your curriculum better!
- We require one adult chaperone (18 or older) for every five children on a field trip.
- Children on field trips must stay with their adults the entire time they are at Fairyland.
- Chaperones are responsible for the children’s behavior in the park. This includes littering, removing things from the premises, harassing animals and wildlife, picking plants, etc. We reserve the right to expel people from the park if they do not comply with these rules.
- Everyone at check-in should have a visible label with the school’s name and phone number. For safety reasons, please do not include children’s names on the labels.
- The group should congregate on one of the grassy or dirt areas in front of the shoe.
- An adult should alert the ticket window when everyone has arrived so that a Fairyland representative can welcome your group, give a safety talk, and handle your payment. Please know how many adults, children, and babies under one are in your group.
- The entire group must be here to receive the field trip price and must pay in a lump sum.
- Entrance is $4 for all ages, except for infants under one, who are free. Anyone who arrives after the group enters must pay the regular price of $8.
- We accept cash, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and school checks (not American Express, purchase orders, or personal checks). Our preferred method of payment is credit card.
- Magic keys are $3 each, open 27 storybook boxes, and are yours to keep forever!
- In case of inclement weather, a decision is made whether or not to close the park by 9:30 am. You can always cancel ahead of time if it looks like rain. No trip, no charge!
While in the Park
- There is no storage for guests in the park, and no bikes or skate equipment allowed.
- Food can be brought or purchased at the Johnny Appleseed Café.
- The Magic Lamp Toy Shop allows only five students with one chaperone in at a time.
- Please let us know if anyone in your group has special needs which require accommodation.
- The puppet show airs at 11:00, 2:00, and 4:00 every day that we are open. It is first come, first seated, and we request that adults sit in the back or on the sides so children can see.
- If the group is arriving by cars, parking is managed by the city of Oakland. Parking on Bellevue is $2 for every two hours or $10 per day.
- Buses may drop off groups for free, but there is no bus parking. Our preferred bus provider is Michael’s Transportation, which has shown exemplary customer service.
Michael’s Transportation Services, Inc.
2029 Bennington Drive
Vallejo, CA 94591
How do I reserve a field trip?
There are several ways to sign up for a trip:
- Register online for the fastest possible response.
- Email the Education Specialist.
- Or call (510) 452-2259 and ask for the Education Specialist.
How will I know that my trip is confirmed?
Once you have booked your trip, we will email you a confirmation letter, along with the field trip information and a map.
What should I do with the confirmation letter?
The last step in your confirmation is faxing this form to 510-452-2261 or scanning and emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
When can I bring a field trip?
We accept field trips year round, weekdays only. However, our seasonal calendar means that we have different schedules at different times of year. Please see our PDF field trip calendar for field trip days.
What if I end up with more or less people than I listed on the registration?
That’s fine, as long as you have at least one adult (18 or older) for every five children. It’s also one of the reasons that we recommend paying on the day of the field trip instead of in advance.
What if I have chaperones who want to bring siblings of children in the class?
That’s fine as well, as long as you have at least one adult (18 or older) for every five children. We will honor the field trip rate for additional visitors, and children under one are free.
What if the chaperones pay for themselves?
The teacher or group leader must collect the money before arriving at Fairyland and pay for everyone in one lump sum.
More than one group from our school will be arriving on the same bus. Will we need separate reservations?
The teacher who made the reservation must pay for the whole group to enter the park with one payment. If classes want to pay separately, then each teacher should make his or her own reservation.
If I don’t make a reservation and simply show up with my group, can we still receive the discount?
No. You must have a confirmation letter to receive the discount.
How can I speed up check-in?
There are several ways to speed up check-in:
- Have your whole group together before telling the ticket window that you are here.
- Have all your money together if you are paying cash.
- Know the total number of children, adults, and infants under one in your group.
What if it rains?
Our operations department determines all park closures by 9:30 am, based on safety conditions. If we decide to close the park, the Education Specialist will call the school, notify you, and reschedule your field trip. You may also call our office at (510) 452-2259 to check about park closures, and are free to cancel ahead of time if it looks like rain. No trip, no charge!
Where can we eat?
You can choose from a variety of eating options:
- Bring bag lunches and eat at picnic tables or on the grass in the Teddy Bear Picnic Area.
- Reserve the Cinderella party Area if you want an hour of quiet time for $40.
- Buy lunch at the Johnny Appleseed Café (remember that there may be a line).
What can my group look forward to at Children’s Fairyland?
There is so much to experience:
- Puppet shows happen every day at 11, 2, and 4.
- Child-size storybook sets and themed playgrounds allow for imaginative play, gross motor play, and literacy crossovers.
- We have 17 farm animals for the children to observe.
- Alice’s Reading Room allows for a relaxing place to enjoy favorite books.
- And you never know when to expect an educational Pop-up play or read-aloud!
Do you offer anything unique for Special Day Classes?
Yes we do! The Education Specialist can arrange for classes of children with special needs to have a free five senses horticulture lesson in which small groups get to spend time exploring plants. Please give as much advance notice as possible for this program.