Summer Day Camp
- Field Trips
- Youth Writers Workshop
- Summer Day Camp
- Children's Theatre Program
- Toddler Storytime
- Community Engagement Program
- Stories Committee
- Fairyland's Magic Tree
Children grow at Fairyland Summer Day Camp!
Our program aims to spark creativity and a desire to learn by bringing stories to life. Our camp activities explore the intersection of storytelling, imagination, nature, arts, and play. We also support a healthy community.Through daily practice, we instill the importance of respect and care for one another. Our nurturing staff and safe environment encourage campers to develop friendship through team-building projects, dramatic play, and exploration.
Camp runs from June 5 to August 11, 2023 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., with aftercare available by registration from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
We offer the following two-week sessions:
- Thematic Camps: For children entering K to 5th grade
Session 1: June 5 to 16—Superheroes
Session 2: June 19 to 30—Magic
Session 3: July 10 to July 21—Fairyland Classics
- Specialty Camps: For children entering 3rd to 5th grade
Session 1: June 5 to 16—Fairyland Puppeteers
Session 2: June 19 to 30—Theatre Camp
Session 3: July 10 to July 21—Theatre Camp
Session 4: July 24 to August 4—Farm to Table (K to 5th grade)
Session 5: August 7 to 11—Time Travel
- Counselor-in-Training: For youth ages 11 to 14 or entering 6th to 9th grade
Session 1: June 5 to 16;
Session 2: June 19 to 30;
Session 3: July 10 to July 21
Session 4: July 24 to August 4
Session 5: August 7 to 11
2023 Summer Day Camp Descriptions
Young Heroes: June 5 to 16
Superheroes: With great power comes great responsibility! Campers transform into superheroes, create and star in their own comic book, overcome obstacles and discover their own power!
Community heroes: Why wait for a hero when there is one inside each and every one of us! Become the hero the community needs as we identify problems, be of service to our community and ignite our ability to get things done! We are heroes at work!
Magic: June 19 to 30
Herbology: Transform herbs in the garden into a magical array of potions, balms, teas and salves. Dive right into the magical world of medicinal plants, and go on the journey from seeds to potions!
Enchanted Gear: Wands, pouches, sigils, dream diaries and magical art. Everything the young witch, wizard or warlock might need for their journey! It’s time to get crafty!
Fairyland Classics: July 10 to 21
A Pirate’s Life for Me: Climb aboard, me hearties! We’re off to find treasure, swashbuckle, and navigate the seas. Design your own Pirate Flag! Create your own pirate map! Use navigation skills to hunt for treasure! Brush up on your pirate lingo and: Hoist the Jolly Roger!
Run Away with the Circus: This is your chance to juggle, clown around, and pretend to be a wild beast! It’s all happening under the big top!
Fairyland Puppeteers: June 5 to 16
In this two-week session, campers learn how to put on their own puppet shows. From making puppets to creating scripts, campers experience the Fairyland magic that brings puppets and stories to life.
Fairyland Puppeteers will take place between June 5 through June 16 (Session 1 only).
Farm-to-Table: July 24 to August 4
Campers get their hands dirty as they learn about gardening, animal husbandry and going on the journey from seeds to salads! Planting, harvesting and transforming produce into plates, campers get a deeper understanding of where their food comes from and gain appreciation for the land, as well as our Fairyland residents.
Farm-to-Table will take place between July 24 through August 4 (Session 4 only).
Time Travel: August 7 to 11
Blast from the past, then back to the future! This week takes our campers back in time to do things the old-school way, then shoots them forward into an unknown future. Grab your time machine and let's explore!
June 19 to 30
July 10 to July 21
In this fun-filled two-week camp, children will create their own theatrical production from start to finish. Inspired by their own creativity and the magical world of Fairyland, an experienced theater educator will guide participants through the playwriting process while exploring performance skills and stagecraft. At the end of this two-week session, children will present their play for family and friends at Fairyland’s beloved Aesop’s Playhouse. Through teamwork and a lot of creative juice, they will learn about the collaborative nature of theatre while honing communication, problem-solving, and social-emotional skills during the creation of their own theatrical event.
Theatre Camp will take place between June 19 through June 30 (Session 2) and July 10 through July 21 (Session 3), culminating in a performance for family and friends on the last Friday of each session at Aesop’s Playhouse.
June 5 to 16
June 19 to 30
July 10 to July 21
July 24 to August 4
August 7 to 11
Children's Fairyland is offering a Counselor-in-Training (CIT) program for youth ages 11 to 14 or rising sixth through eighth graders in conjunction with our Summer Day Camp program. CITs become stewards of Fairyland camp, serving as role models for our younger campers. CITs assist in activities, games, and team-building projects. They will have a chance to develop their leadership experience in a fun and supportive environment.
This program is suitable for CITs who have a passion for helping younger children and aspire to become future camp counselors. They should be able to follow instructions and be prepared to take on a leadership role and new challenges.
Camp Health and Safety
Keeping campers safe and healthy is our top priority. As we work diligently to update our operations plan, the following are preventive measures we are taking, including what you can do at home.
- We will ask for full vaccination for all campers and CITs OR a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken the Monday morning of a new session. As the COVID-19 landscape changes, we will make changes to this policy and keep families up to date. Note: parents and caregivers will be asked to upload their proof of vaccination to the online registration.
- Fairyland staff is 100% vaccinated and will require all camp staff to be fully vaccinated as well.
- If you have any questions about our vaccination policy, please contact email@example.com.
- Face masks are optional for all campers. We will assess this policy periodically and make any necessary changes in accordance with the Alameda County Public Health Department and Fairyland’s policy.
- Masking is required for individuals who are experiencing cold and flu-like symptoms and if the COVID-19 Community Level in Alameda County is Medium or High.
- If a mask is required, campers may take off their face coverings when they are able to social distance and during field activities and snack/meal time. When social distancing is not possible (rides, attractions and workshop activities), campers will be asked to keep their face coverings on.
- Make sure your campers arrive healthy, hydrated and well rested.
- Staff and campers will be screened for fever and flu-like symptoms before entering the facility each day.
- Staff will make sure that campers are practicing good hand hygiene habits and respiratory etiquette.
- Campers and Counselor-In-Trainings will be in groups of 14.
What you can do at home to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- At least 10 days before your child's session, please begin self screening for temperatures over 100.4°F and for any presence of symptoms.
- If you travel by airplane before your camp session starts, get tested three days after your return. Please show us your negative result before coming to camp.
- Help your campers establish good hygiene and the habit of wearing a face covering in public.
- Consult your health provider if you have any concerns.
What will Fairyland do to prevent the spread of COVID-19 before camp begins:
- We will expand our camp staff training on health and safety procedures.
- Establish PPE (personal protection equipment) protocols and health screening for all staff.
- Establish space usage for each group and sanitizing supplies.
- Stay current with any new guidance issued by the Alameda County Public Health Department and CDC.
- Continue to update you on camp guidelines.
Aftercare will be available by registration Monday to Friday from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Our aftercare program usually consists of a small group of approximately 20 children each afternoon.
- Social distancing will be enforced.
- Teachers will set up activities using large spaces such as the Teddy Bear Picnic Area, Jack and Jill Hill, and the Humpty Dumpty Area.
What is the age range for Fairyland summer camp?
For our bi-weekly thematic camps, children must be five (by September 1, 2023) to ten years old or rising kindergarten through 5th graders. Fairyland Puppeteer and Theatre Camp are for children eight to ten years old or rising 3rd through 5th graders. The Counselor-In-Training (CIT) program is for youths eleven to fourteen years old or rising 6th through 8th graders.
How much does camp cost?
All prices are for 2-weeks.
Thematic camp is $840 for Fairyland family members and $880 for non-members.
Fairyland Puppeteer is $960 for members and $1,000 for non-members.
Theatre Camp is $960 for members and $1,000 for non-members.
The Counselor-In-Training program is $400.
Aftercare is $100 per week (Monday through Friday). There is no cost for CITs who need aftercare.
The camp fee includes two camp T-shirts and a Magic Key. The aftercare fee includes two snack items per day and choices of activities.
Can I sign up for a single week?
Unfortunately, we do not offer single week registrations. We are offering two-week sessions to allow campers a better experience and give them more time to develop friendship with their peers and counselors.
What are your camp hours? Is there before- and aftercare?
Camp hours are 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Arrival is 8:30 to 9 a.m. and pick up is 3:30 to 3:45 p.m. Aftercare is from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. (Registration is required for aftercare.)
Campers signed in to aftercare can be picked up anytime between 3:45 and 5:30 p.m.
A late fee of $1 per minute will be applied if a child not registered in aftercare is not picked up by 3:45 p.m. The late fee applies to each minute and after 5:30 p.m. for children in aftercare.
What is a day like?
Sample Thematic Camp
8:30-9:00 Arrival; games
9-10:30 Morning welcome, thematic play creation, animal/plant/puppet workshop
10:30-10:45 Snack, break
10:45-12 Team building activity, park exploration
12-1 Lunch, chill out time
1-3:30 Rides, scavenger hunt, group games, park exploration
3:30-3:45 Pick-up or aftercare
Sample Fairyland Puppeteer and Theatre Camp Schedule
8:30-9 Arrival; games
9-9:20 Morning welcome
9:20-10:30 Theatre workshop, behind-the-scenes activity
10:45-12 Theater game, scriptwriting, character design
12-1 Lunch, chill out time
1-2 Park exploration, team-building activity
2-3:30 Prop building and costume making
3:30-3:45 Pick up or aftercare
3:30-5:30 Aftercare (free play, arts and crafts, games)
3:45 Last Friday performance
What kinds of activities are available for campers registered in aftercare?
All activities will begin after snack time. Campers will have a variety of activities to choose from each day, including organized outdoor games, art projects, and the opportunity to work on their costumes or props for the Friday play.
Who are your camp counselors?
Our camp counselors are chosen for their significant experience with children, enthusiasm for play and pretend, and vibrant, compassionate personalities. All camp staff are background checked and trained in first aid and CPR.
The Big Picture
What is the camp’s philosophy?
Fairyland Camp is where the magic happens and children can unlock the power of storytelling through play.
What makes our summer camp special?
- Dual emphasis on imagination and social-emotional development
- Highly experienced, fun, and compassionate staff members
- Children learn to collaborate with peers, improve confidence, and be playful through improvisation.
- Children use creativity while engaged in hands-on activities to explore each theme. They use teamwork to create and perform amazing plays at the end of each week - boosting confidence!
- Opportunities to go behind the scenes with Fairyland’s puppet theater, gardens, and gentle animals
- Lots of park exploration time for the campers to do everything they love at Fairyland
What do you do all day at camp?
Our activities fall into three categories:
- Park Exploration – Hit the rides, slides, Jack and Jill Hill, use a Magic Key, climb the rigging on the pirate ship, and dig in the sand at Play Island.
- Activities – These workshops involve the horticulture, gentle animal, and puppetry specialists, as well as arts and crafts and unforgettable experiences through daily thematic activities.
- Dramatic Play – Dramatic play promotes the development of social skills. We encourage children to make up plays by pretending, group brainstorming, and practicing for the Friday show. The shows will be filmed and shared with parents and guardians at the end of each session.
How about the Friday plays?
Our entertaining Friday skits are created by the campers in the Thematic Camps and Farm to Table. We start with the theme and use our imaginations and teamwork to come up with one-of-a-kind performances. Skits will be performed to the campers, CITs and counselors only and will not be recorded and shared with families.
We will offer in-person viewing for Fairyland Puppeteers and Theatre Camp families only. Fairyland Puppeteers will perform on Friday, June 16 for Session 1. The Theatre Camp plays will be presented on Friday, June 30 for Session 2 and July 14 for Session 3. We will offer in-person viewing only for Theatre Camp families.
How about children with special needs?
While our camp may not have the capacity to accommodate every need, we have found that we tend to be very successful at camp when we work one on one with families and are well informed about the campers’ needs before the session begins. We invite you to contact us so we can help you decide if camp is the right fit for your child.
How do you incorporate social and emotional learning into camp?
All camp staff are trained in conflict resolution and are committed to helping children resolve their differences with words. We consciously work to create a caring community of adults and children who treat each other with respect and are ready to make new friends. Taking turns, cooperation, sharing, and being a good sport are continuously reinforced, and we take time at the end of each week for the children to share their appreciation for each other.
How do I register my child?
The registration link will be open beginning January 21 for early bird access exclusively for Fairyland Members and January 28 at 2 p.m. for everyone.
What forms of payment do you accept?
We accept Visa, Mastercard, and E-checks.
What is your cancellation policy?
All cancellations must be submitted by email to Vicky Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A $30 processing fee will be assessed for all cancellation requests before April 15.
After April 15, 25% of the full registration fee per camper will be assessed.
For cancellations on sessions 30-days prior to the first day of camp, 50% of the full registration per camper will be assessed.
Camp fee is nonrefundable if the request is made less than 30-days prior to the first day of camp.
You may change your camp session up to 30-days before the start of your confirmed session, but only if we have space.
Thank you for your interest in Children’s Fairyland Summer Day Camp! Please do not hesitate to email the Senior Director of Community Engagement and Education, Vicky, or call 510 452-2259, with questions or concerns.
Fairyland is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and is dedicated to making sure our youth programs are affordable for all families. Our scholarship program offers youth with financial needs to participate in our Children’s Theatre and Summer Day Camp through a short application process. Eligible families will receive up to 70% of reduction on Summer Camp fee and 100% scholarship for Children’s Theatre. Apply now!
Children’s Theatre audition request is available now. Summer Camp registration opens in January 2023 and sells out fast!